March 14, 2012

There's a part of me that loves working with my hands.  That's why I loved my undergrad in technical and design theatre, where I spent hours painting plywood to look like a brick wall, or shaping modeling clay into hands in yoga positions (to be attached to the arms of a ganesh costume), or painting details on a tribal mask, or making sausages out of nylons and stuffing.  I love getting my hands creatively dirty. Plus I love the theatre.

For a while now, I've been craving a creative outlet of some sort.  Sure, I can snap some photos, but there's something about getting my hands on a project that involves manipulating, shaping, forming a lump of nothing into something.  I'd love to take a pottery class or learn how to knit.  But I make excuses, and in the end, I'm just lazy.  So when I saw this video, I felt a bit of a kick in the bum.  But I was also inspired.  Hope you are too.

This is Sentayehu Teshale, a craftsman at work, in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Stools from Mark Morgan on Vimeo.

via andrew and carissa

No comments:

Post a Comment