January 24, 2013

I had resolved to not make any resolutions for 2013 because I have a poor track record when it comes to keeping them.  If I know anything about myself, it's that I'm a much better starter than a finisher.  I get excited about the next new thing, but I tend to eventually lose interest or get distracted by the next shiny new thing.  But perhaps the reality is, I lack discipline (ouch...that's right, the truth hurts, Kristin). 

It's not that I don't finish things...I have two degrees, made one of these, and have sent out my wedding and baby gift thank yous.  But when it comes to new year resolutions, I begin with such fervour, only to end up petering out.  I think I tend to fail my new year resolutions because I choose something that requires a task to be done consecutively through a year (e.g. read a book a month, take a photo a day) and I just don't think I do long-term commitment very well.  In the end, I feel like a lame-o when I don't accomplish what I had set out to do.  But, in defense of failing last year's resolution, I did have a good excuse.  However, choosing to read a book a month in the same year I was expecting to birth a human was not thought out well on my part.  I guess I thought I would have all this "free time" on my hands since I'd be on maternity leave for a year, so a book a month...no problem.  Ha.  Joke's on me.

Maybe it is a bit under-achieving of me to not make resolutions because I fear failure?  Why set myself up for the inevitable?  But the thing is I like setting goals for myself and striving for something.  Whether it's daily or life-long, I like feeling like I've accomplished something and it feels good putting a check mark beside a task or goal as "done."  So I don't want to say I've made resolutions, but I do have a little list of things I'd like to work at this year.  And if I don't get to these things or accomplish them, it's okay.  I can always try for the next year.  As the saying goes..."If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."  I think "try" is written twice for people like me...who may find themselves trying again and again because they lost interest or got distracted or just flat out failed.  But you know, I think it's okay sometimes.  Cause the idea of getting another chance (or giving yourself another chance) to do something is better than feeling like a putz for failing and never striving for other goals for yourself again.

So here's my simple list of things I would like do in the next year:
-finish knitting Ez's baby blanket
-drink more water
-read The Great Gatsby
-learn to bake bread and a delicious pie crust
-post backlogged and new photos on this blog (which also implies, take more photos)

I look at this list and some of these things I will do/start and I may very well accomplish.  Some will probably not be consistent but I think if at least I tried, I'd be happy.  And some just seem daunting but I want one thing that will challenge and grow me (I'm talking to you, pie crust).  I think it'll help not setting out to do something consecutively, like learn to make a new pastry every week, cause then, I might as well quit now.  But with this list, I suppose I can resolve to do my best and hopefully, I'll be able to put check marks beside each one and call it a year.

3 comments:

  1. Kristin, that coffee filter light is AMAZING! The baby you made is pretty fantastic, too. :)

    I think making resolutions or setting goals while being okay with the possibility of failure is totally fine. Did you read more last year? Goal somewhat accomplished! Did you post some pictures on the blog? Heck yeah, and they were baby pics so that counts double. Did you move forward at all last year? Of course.

    I've finally realised that failure is a natural and crucial part of learning. That's an incredibly obvious idea, yes, but I've had to be reminded of it over and over until it sank in. So now I'm trying to celebrate my failures by enjoying them (recently a Korean friend gently pointed out that I've been using the word 'handbag' to ask for a plastic bag at the grocery store...for a year--I laughed so hard!) and focusing on how they've helped me (I will remember the real word for 'plastic bag' until I die).

    And, to add one more thing to this novel of a comment, I feel like the very process of setting goals and trying to meet them is all about learning. You have to figure out what didn't work last time, and come up with new ideas to help you succeed (e.g., getting an iPod app that tracks goals, teaming up with a friend for accountability, marking Xs on a calendar and trying not to break your 'streak')

    Let's chat about self-improvement when I get back to V'ver! 3.5 months to go. :)

    P.S. Pie crust -- use ice water, and put the dough in the fridge for a bit before you roll it out to keep it flaky. Or ask my dad; he's the resident expert in our family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just discovered that your comment found its way into the spam folder. Silly Blogger. I'm glad I found it cause you obviously had something to comment. To think, you were one of my kids in Sunday School that I used to make act out bible stories (I vaguely remember you playing an ox or some animal that pulled a cart?). And now, years of life and experience later, you can teach me a thing or two. You're right...I did move forward more than I would have if I never set out to read a book at all. I checked how many books...six! That's half the resolution worth! That's six more than nothing. And your dad's pie crust is what I had in mind for the "learn how to make delicious pie crust." I will definitely have to ask for his recipe.

      Delete
  2. So where are pictures of Ezra????

    ReplyDelete